Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Streetlight...Dust Bunnies...O O Ohhhhh!!! ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

Dust Bunnies... where did this phrase come from?  Have you ever thought of that?  I honestly never have. It makes total sense now that I think of it... dust multiplies as quick as rabbits do!  
We've come a long way in our defense against this inevitable lurking enemy!  Remember feather dusters?  AACCHHOOOOO!  The dust bunnies began to see color when the oh so colorful fuzzy dusters came about.  Still, pushing the dust into air... just dispersing it everywhere else.  Your house "looked" dust-free because you could not see that layer that had gathered, but the bunnies where still hopping about. 

I've come to the conclusion that I am allergic to dust.  Anytime I would dust, I began to sneeze n' wheeze, so not fun.  Wiping the dust away with a cloth was my best bet.  Until swiffer made its debut.  And, I bought into it. I no longer need a chair to dust things I could not reach with the cloth, I was loving the extending and bending new dohicky... the swiffer.  It was amazing that the dust was actually sticking to this device.  However, this fabulous new product came with a cost...replacement cloths are needed.  *bummer*  Even though I approved of this new fandangled duster, it didn't fit into being frugal. Should I resort back to the cloth?  I could, but then the cloth would need to be washed and more dusting spray would be needed.  Was there something that I had already that could be used to do the job? 

DRYER SHEETS!!  They are fabulous dusters.  I buy them anyway because, for us, it's a must when it comes to comfy fresh clothes.  I used to just throw them in the trash after my laundry duties.  Not any more! They now serve a dual purpose for me!  I love finding things that can be used for more than what it was designed to, just like I enjoy multi-tasking. Dual purpose items and multi-tasking are not only time savers but also a money saver.   Time and money... the two "evils" of life.   If you want to save time, you give money... if you want to save money, you give time (*side note: Does this only apply to givers?  What about takers???).

I became THE multi-tasker as time went on... I just didn't attend college full-time but I also worked full-time while doing so. Once I graduated college, my jobs tweaked my multi-tasking skills. So much so, that I was over burdened with stress. Not only did my company consolidate 4 offices into one (leaving me to do the work of 8 individuals), but I felt that all I did was: wake up, go to work, be a slave, fight traffic, come home, go to sleep... REPEAT! This is NOT how I wanted to live life! But, in giving up my time meant that we would have more money to pay our debts. Again, the time vs. money struggle. I took my concerns to God... it was time to cast all my cares upon him. Talk about the ultimate relief of stress... PRAYER! Knowing that God is in control and He loves me is so reassuring! It brings me so much peace and so much joy!

I began talking to my husband about my conversations with God. Not knowing, that he had the same concerns and wanted us to live more simply. He was watching me dwindle away to stress.  He missed me, the former happy me.  I'm so blessed to have a husband who wanted to give me the opportunity to slow down and drink life in. I LOVE HIM SO!

After much  prayerful consideration, I exited the work force. It was a bitter-sweet moment for me. Everything I had been about, was no longer... I was now letting God take control of my life. And guess what? We did not need two incomes, GOD DOES PROVIDE! He always has and always will :)

...alright, time to get back on track with what I was speaking of....

I'm sure many homemakers have already come across this thrifty idea for dryer sheets. And, I know that I'm not the first to recognize the whole time vs. money issues. But, I'm a little behind most of my peers.  There is so much I'm learning... things I never thought of before. Are you ever too old to learn? NO!

For me, you're not living if you're not learning. I used to think of "learning" as something that is done in a classroom setting or something kids do from adults. I've made my past 30yrs so chaotic that I never took the time to find the life lessons all around me. I would like to think I noticed lessons here and there... but did I learn what I needed to learn from the lesson? I find myself being more open and listening for that voice of my Father in heaven.  I believe God gives me "signs" telling me to slow down, you only live once... let me light your path!

I'll give you an example. Ever since I was a child, street lights would go black-out as I would pass under them. Does this happen to you? Is this my Creator making me notice Him... to slow down and listen... learn. If I'm in a rush to get somewhere, I would see a streetlight black-out and I would thank God because I feel that He's telling me to slow down... smell the roses in essence. I use driving as a stress reliever and sometimes I'll be in deep thought while doing so... at that moment I'll see a streetlight black-out.   Then and there I surrender to God and tell Him that I know he is in control and not to worry. Maybe it's just me being super observant. But, I choose to believe otherwise...


 I thank God for streetlights :) 



Food for thought: 1 Peter 5:7 & Psalm 119:105

No comments:

Post a Comment